The Paw Press

Inside CSI

An Elective Review

Maya Moses, Journalist/Co-Editor: Board Member

The whole CSI class working as a team

One of our elective classes has all the students talking. What is CSI? What do the students enrolled in this class do every day? What skills do they acquire from CSI? I have the answers to these questions and many others. 

I got the opportunity to visit the class on October 1st-2nd with my fellow journalist Alexa, catching the class amid solving a fake murder. The environment encouraged us to share out our opinions multiple times, and we were barely able to refrain ourselves. The students were very enthusiastic and open about their theories. Two students stood at the front of the class, writing down information that they and their classmates dug up. They were each given a clue that they shared with the class to help solve the case. Hands were raised but yelling out was common as well. Ms. Kyobe sat at the back of the class, letting the students communicate alone. The students continued with the case for 2 days. When they finally solved the murder, everyone was happy with the teamwork they showed. 

The independent work in CSI can vary from reflections to worksheets. For example, the students wrote a detailed reflection after solving the murder. The reflection helps the class look back and see how they could have contributed more to the group, who they could have listened to more and how they could communicate better next time. As we looked around the classroom, we saw a lot of deep thinking and contemplating taking place. 

The Inside Scoop on CSI with Ms. Kyobe 

Before viewing the murder investigation, I got the chance to interview Ms. Kyobe, who was happily willing to answer the questions I had for her. 

Q: Why did you choose to teach CSI? 

A: It is something I have always been passionate about. I’ve just been very interested in the science behind it.  

Q: What will the students do this year? 

A: This year the students will be doing plenty of independent work along with mixed amounts of hands on activities and class discussions. We will also be having some guest speakers come and lecture the class on multiple occasions. 

Q: Are there any out of class trips planned? 

A: I am hoping that we can take a trip to an escape room this year. 

Q: How are the students graded? 

A: The students are graded about the same way as they are in my math class. 

Q: Is homework common in CSI? 

A: There is generally no homework in CSI unless class time is wasted, and a student needs to take work home to catch up with the class. 

Q: What really is CSI?  

A: CSI stands for Criminal Science Investigation. CSI is comprised of a crime being committed, who goes to the crime scene, how and why the evidence is collected, and how it is used in court. 

Q: Why do you think CSI was chosen as an elective over language classes? 

A: None of the teachers speak a language fluent enough to teach it. 

Q: How hands on is CSI? 

A: CSI is generally a good mix of hands on and discussion, but the most hands on unit is unit 2, evidence and evidence collecting.              

As you can see, CSI is about more than just solving crimes. It helps you develop teamwork and problem solving skills that will stay with you for the rest of your life. I definenately recommend choosing this elective for next year.

1 Comment

One Response to “Inside CSI”

1. Alexa Hendrix on October 11th, 2018 2:40 pm

I loved writing this with you!!! nwn

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Inside CSI

News

Zombie Fungus – Can it Change the World?

• Inside CSI

News

Elephants are evolving and dying before our eyes… and it’s because of us

• Inside CSI

News

California Fires

• Inside CSI

News

The Titanic II

• Inside CSI

News

Where Did They Go?

• Inside CSI

News

McDonald’s Crisis

• Inside CSI

News

Election Collection

• Inside CSI

News

Movie Time!

• Inside CSI

News

No Bees, No Food!

• Inside CSI

News

The Student News Site of Catharine Blaine K-8
Inside CSI