High School Feature Article

Emma Pampino, Journalist

If you are an eighth grader, listen up. There are a ton of great high schools in the Seattle area. And as the days go by, we are getting closer and closer to having to make a pretty big decision. Pretty soon, the time will come when we all have to leave the one place that we have always known. Later this year, we will have to leave the small, friendly community of Blaine and venture into the big and unknown world of high school. Don’t get me wrong, according to the people I have talked to, high school can be the best part of your life. And if you think about it, it makes sense. New environment, new teachers, new friends, high school is definitely something to look forward to. But the first step of having a good time in high school is choosing the school you want to attend. From Ballard to Seattle Prep, Seattle has a ton of great options. Before you make your final decision, you have to think about what environment you can see yourself in. Do you like public school? Or private school? Do you want to go to a school with tons of students? Or a smaller school where you kinda know everybody? If you have been at Blaine since kindergarten, like me, chances are you didn’t get to choose what middle school you wanted to go to. But when looking at high schools, you have a say in where you want to spend those four years. In this article, you will see what other eighth graders think about various high schools in the Seattle area. 

In my opinion, the main questions that you have to ask yourself before deciding what high school you want to attend are, do you like going to a smaller school? Are you okay with just being one student out of hundreds? Does it matter what the cafeteria, classrooms, gym, etc. look like? Do you want to go to private school or public school? How far is too far to get to school every day? These are the questions (and more) that I will be asking eighth graders currently attending Catharine Blaine. 

Question: When given the choice, would you choose to attend a  private or public high school?

Eighth Grade Girl

“A public school. Public school check.”

“Why?”

“I have gone to a public school my whole life, so that would make high school easier having a similar environment. I feel like im going to have more opportunities to put interesting things on my college application than just a 4.0 at a private school.”

Eighth Grade Boy

“Public.”

“Why?”

“I don’t think its too bad. You can still be challenged there academically, and I get to be with my friends.”

Question: What high schools have you looked at?

Eighth grade girl

“I’ve looked at Seattle Prep and Ballard.”

“What one do you prefer?”

“Ballard.”

“Why?”

“Seattle Prep is way to expensive, its forty minutes away and none of my friends are going there.”

Eighth grade boy

“Ballard and Blanchet.”

“What one do you prefer?”

“Ballard.”

“Why?”

“More of my friends are going there, its cheaper, closer, and I don’t think i’m the private school type.”

Question: A lot of people who went to Blaine now go to Ballard. Knowing this, do you feel pressured to go to Ballard?

Eighth grade girl

“More or less, I guess. All of my friends are going there, but I dont think im going to go there.”

“Why not?”

“Some people are going there who I don’t want to go to school with.”

Eighth grade boy

“Nope.”

“Why?” 

“Because all of my friends are going there, and there are a lot of other good schools in Seattle.”

In conclusion, there are a lot of opinions here at Blaine. It looks like some eighth graders are set on going to Ballard, maybe because of a sibling already going there or just because it’s close to home. Growing up here, it’s kind of been a stereotype that most Blaine students end up attending Ballard for high school. But as I got older, I realized that this is not necessarily true. There are  a handful of eighth graders from Blaine who decide to go to other schools, like Blanchet or Prep. and I think this is great. According to the high schoolers i’ve talked to, they really like the schools that they are attending. (Prep, U Prep, Blanchet, Holy Names.) When it comes down to it, you have to make a decision to go to a school that you will be happy at.