Modern Day Struggles of a Middle Schooler

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lola Halverson, Journalist/ Editor

If you are a middle schooler in the U.S. or anywhere that offers a good education, you have probably heard of the dreaded lecture, “When I was your age…” and then explain how life was so much harder for them. While parts of this statement are true, studies and the majority of students say otherwise.

When your parents, guardians, or other adults go on about how they spent their days outside playing with their friends, when in reality we don’t have time for that anymore. To put it into perspective, 38% of students exhaust that they have 6 or more hours per week on homework alone, which is more than an hour a day. Instead of wasting 5 hours on homework, we could be outside socializing with our friends, and learning about the nature around us. You could argue we need to learn less about our nature because the rapid advancements of technology, which will bring me to my next point.

Now that science and other technology has had millions of breakthroughs plus new Climate Change updates, we are required to learn about them, (not that it isn’t interesting to learn about). In summary we learn what our parents learned, plus all the new advanced discoveries taking place in the last 30 years. Also, now that we have new technology, we have access to harder courses and tests, which leads to more homework, more advanced classes, and stress.

We also have to take into account that school must have been a lot harder without having access to devices we take for granted today.  For example, imagine making a simple mistake and not being able to delete it, and possibly have to rewrite your whole essay. If you are at school right now, and have taken a sip of water while reading this or just at school in general, well, your parents most likely didn’t even think about bringing water bottles to school. 

In the end, while we are required to learn all these new subjects and discoveries, our parents didn’t have access to a lot of things we take for granted today. So next time your parents say, “Our lives were so much harder…” show them this article.

Source:

Loveless, Tom. “Homework in America.” Brookings, Brookings, 29 July 2016, www.brookings.edu/research/homework-in-america/.