The Real Cost of Vaping

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Real Cost of Vaping

Lauren White, Journalist

Have you ever looked at a USB drive and thought to yourself “This looks weird,“ well that’s probably because it’s not a USB drive. It’s probably a little smoking device called a JUUL. Unlike other smoking devices a JUUL uses nicotine salts which do not produce vapor or any visible emissions when the device is used, and that may make the device more addictive. 

You may be asking “Is there a difference between JUULing and using e-cigarettes?” Well no. JUULS may look different, but they are actually a type of e-cigarettes. Did you know that one JUUL pod may contain as much nicotine as an entire pack of cigarettes!   

Here are some of the most common reasons youth use e-cigarettes. 

39% Use by “friend or family member” 

31% Availability of “flavors such as mint, candy, fruit, or chocolate” 

17% Belief that “they are less harmful than other forms of tobacco such as cigarettes” 

Fun fact did you know that 1 in 4 high school students uses an e-cigarette. 

Some side effects of vaping are 

• Dry mouth. 
  • Dizziness. 
  • A cough. 
  • Dry skin. 
  • Itchiness. 
  • Dry eyes. 
  • Insomnia (mainly a quitting side effect) 
  • Nosebleeds 
  • Irritate the lungs 
  • May cause serious lung damage and even death 

So, as you can see vaping can cause so many bad things to happen to your body that you may think to yourself “is it even worth vaping at this point.” Well others don’t know these risks so spread the word and don’t vape.   

Sources:

• “E-Cigarettes, Vapes and JUUL: What Parents Should Know.” American Lung Association, www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/e-cigarettes-parents.html.
  • “5 Vaping Facts You Need to Know.” Johns Hopkins Medicine, www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/5-truths-you-need-to-know-about-vaping.
  • Alyssa. “The Long-Term Effects of Vaping.” Banyan Treatment Center Pompano, 8 July 2019, https://www.banyanpompano.com/2019/04/03/what-are-the-long-term-effects-of-vaping/.