Albertsons to Safeway in Magnolia

Back to Article
Back to Article

Albertsons to Safeway in Magnolia

Front of albertsons

Front of albertsons

Front of albertsons

Front of albertsons

Alex Davis, Editor

Have you heard about the magnolia Albertsons turning into a Safeway? This magnolia Albertsons has served its place across from Catherine Blaine for many years. Many students have used it and now its closing down! Well don’t worry because the construction probably won’t even start for a few years. On the bright side they are planning on making a garage into the new Safeway. In fact, they plan to put more then 140 housing units on the top! This isn’t the only store they plan on redeveloping though. They also are planning to construct the queen Anne Safeway in hopes of also redeveloping. “`At this pointwe are exploring the opportunity to improve the store at that location but don’t have any information to share at this time, ` writes Sara Osborne, communications director for Safeway and Albertsons – Seattle Division,” states the queen Anne and Magnolia news. The pre-application has already been submitted and is calling for 223,000 square feet of new construction! It includes 212 stalls in 2 levels of below grade parking. It is also said that they will have an outdoor plaza and magnolia-inspired art. They are also planning to use smaller delivery trucks to transport groceries. This is all the public knowledge we currently have for the Albertsons redevelopment, but I am sure more will follow, for there is an EDG meeting for the Safeway redevelopment on October 2nd. 

This article will be updated when/if there is more information that follows. 

Sources:

“Magnolia Albertsons Planning for Redevelopment.” Queenannenews.com, 1 Apr. 2019, queenannenews.com/Content/Business/Business/Article/Magnolia-Albertsons-planning-for-redevelopment/108/468/40141.

“Security Properties Redeveloping Albertsons as New Safeway Store.” Queenannenews.com, 29 Aug. 2019, https://queenannenews.com/Content/Business/Business/Article/Security-Properties-redeveloping-Albertsons-as-new-Safeway-store/108/468/40348.

Albertsons mapped plans: