Dumber in the Summer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dumber in the Summer

dumber in the summer

dumber in the summer

dumber in the summer

dumber in the summer

Alex, Davis

Have you ever come back to school and realize you forgot how to do things you used to be able to do? I have. According to a landmark 1996 review of summer slide research students can forget one-month of learning over summer vacation. Some people say that it is just simply because were not in school learning stuff and instead we are doing other things causing us to forget what we learned before. Also, global rankings for student’s performance shows that students perform a lot better if they have shorter breaks. For Example, 4 weeks off in the spring and 6 weeks in the winter. Like Singapore does, and they lead the global rankings just above japan! Now, if you keep your brain learning things over the summer you could come back to school ready! This could mean joining book clubs, doing math sheets, and other activities working your brain. This could also include learning new sports! This is especially important for youth right now because of the technology we have access to. This causes people to play video games all summer so when they return to school, they lose the mindset they had the previous school year because of their little physical activity. 

Studies have shown that wealthier students return to school with an advantage over students who don’t have access to a lot of money because the wealthier students can afford science camps and other expensive summer programs that help them exercise their brain that students that don’t have access to a lot of money can’t afford. This doesn’t have to be a problem though if the calendars are balanced with breaks. Because the more time away from school shows that you have a harder time remembering the things you knew. This could add up to a year worth of teachers teaching the students what they forgot. It is very important to exercise your brain over the summer vacation because if you don’t your brain will be lazy and not ready for the next school year but if you continue to try new hobbies and learn things by doing activities that sharpen your brain then you’ll be ready for the next school year with a healthy mind. We might have not gotten a summer vacation if kids 100 years ago got a break from school because the schoolhouse was too hot in the summer. 

Bibiliography: 

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/why-summer-vacation-is-making-kids-dumber