The Paw Press

Plastic Ocean?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Plastic Ocean?

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Ella Colonna, Journalist

That’s right! It’s all our fault. These animals didn’t put all this plastic in their home, we did. We have destroyed the ocean, and the Earth. Some people might not understand that. Nor might they understand that, plastic is killing animals in the ocean every single day. It’s getting wrapped around their necks, arms, legs, stomachs, and they are eating and drinking it. This is more than a situation, it’s huge. People are never going to stop polluting the ocean.  

On average, there is about 14 billion pounds of garbage, getting dumped into the ocean each year. No human being on the Earth, can lift 14 billion pounds. Most of the time, plastic starts on the ground, and then gets blown into the ocean. Sometimes, people just throw it into the ocean, like it’s not a big deal at all. Of this 260 million tons of plastic getting made, 10% of it, ends up getting thrown or blown into the ocean. Since, there is so much plastic in the ocean, for a long period of time, little particles come off (which you can’t see with a naked eye), and animals live in. These little plastic particles are almost filling the Ocean. Plus, animals eat (by eat I mean, other animals drinking water then getting eaten) and drink the water. If we kill fish and eat it, we are also consuming plastic. Who wants to eat chemicals? 

Lots of places say the most common plastic item littered is plastic bottles and plastic bags. Along with, Styrofoam. Styrofoam is the most common type of plastic that is getting littered, today. Think about it. When you go to a mall, at the food court most restaurants sell their food in Styrofoam plates. I know that lots of people like to go to the mall. Also, Styrofoam cups are pretty famous. Though, not as famous as those food plates. So most of all that Styrofoam and plastic I just mentioned, ends up in the Ocean! Crazy, I know.  

Leo Hendrik Baekeland is the person who invented plastic. I guess it’s not his fault because, he didn’t know how powerful and strong it was. At the same time, he did start all of this chaos. Leo invented plastic in 1907. Back then around 1907, it wasn’t nearly as much of a problem then compared to, now. Sadly…  Only because it wasn’t as famous plus, people didn’t know how useful it was. 

These are some fun facts about plastic: (or, not so FUN facts). 

• An estimated 13 billion plastics bottles are used each year. 
  • Every year an average of one million sea creatures die a year from plastic.
  • In some parts of the world, plastic is already illegal. 
  • An average person eats 70,000 micro plastics a year.  

A marine researcher makes a great point, “Only we humans make waste that nature can’t digest.” Along with President Bill Clinton, saying, “We know that when we protect our oceans we’re protecting our future.” Saying that if we keep going it’s only going to effect the future, the next generation. It’s a good idea to try an limit your plastic. You can do tons of things to do that, even though you might not realize. There’s lots of other substitutes for plastic. Another great idea, is donating money to a company that is trying to help our plastic/pollution problem. For example, The Ocean Cleanup, 4ocean, Ocean Conservation, and, Surf Rider Foundation. All these places are setting a great example for the future.

About the Writer
Ella Colonna, journalist

Hello, my name is Ella Colonna. I am a sixth grader at Catherine Blaine. I am a journalist for this website. I enjoy many things, but the thing I enjoy...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Plastic Ocean?”

1. Theresa on April 25th, 2019 8:14 pm

Great article, well written!

2. dorrie jacobson on April 30th, 2019 2:56 pm

This is an amazing article!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Plastic Ocean?

Arts & Entertainment

Remembering Ms. Lily

• Plastic Ocean?

Features

The Richest Man in History

• Plastic Ocean?

Features

Are We Poisoning Our Puget Sound?

• Plastic Ocean?

Features

The Science Behind Boredom

• Plastic Ocean?

Features

Seattle’s History of Racial Segregation and The Other Side of The Coin

• Plastic Ocean?

Features

Polar Bears – Endangerment Report

• Plastic Ocean?

Features

Fighting into the Middle Class

• Plastic Ocean?

Features

Home Sweet Homeless

• Plastic Ocean?

Features

The Crew Dragon: New Age in Spacecraft?

• Plastic Ocean?

Features

All About Spider Monkeys

The Student News Site of Catharine Blaine K-8
Plastic Ocean?