The Paw Press

Saving Rhino’s

Back to Article
Back to Article

Saving Rhino’s

Ella Colonna, Journalist

I think it’s very important to, make an effort in saving Rhinos. Now, I do know that people are trying, but we need a better idea, to save more at a time and less money. Rhinos all over South Africa are getting poached. Illegal Rhino hunters are killing Rhinos every single day. A team of advanced vets are trying to set hurt or non-hurt Rhinos free in Botswana. Botswana has one of the lowest amounts of poaching in, Africa.  

These advanced vets started saving rhinos in 2014. In my opinion, by now, rhinos shouldn’t still be endangered, anymore. People kill them for their horns. They kill them for the same reasons they kill elephants, because their horns/tusks are super expensive. They can make a lot of money. Rhinos didn’t kill you for your bones, and shouldn’t be getting killed. I wonder if they did anything wrong to the people that are killing them?  

To move each rhino to Botswana it would cost about, 45,000 dollars per Rhino! To me, that seems like a crazy amount of money, especially for one Rhino. That’s the sad part, it costs too much for people and rescuing teams to, save a lot of them. Scientists and experts say, within 10 years they will most likely be extinct! Lots of people love Rhinos, plus this isn’t fair for them. In 2015, poachers killed more than 1,300 Rhinos! Just in 2015! Sadly, since 2008, poachers have killed 6,100 Rhinos, in South Africa! This is crazy, nor is it fair for the Rhinos.  

If we are saving a sweet animal, we shouldn’t have to pay 45,000 dollars. Plus, if Rhinos become extinct, it will affect nature and other animals that live near them. One example is, black Rhinos eat tough bushes and plants which clear paths for other animals. Rhinos should live a free, equal, and fair life.  There is something that was kind of exciting. The work of saving the Rhinos, is finally starting to pay off. Four years ago, people killed 1,215. In 2017, people killed 1,028. Yes, I do understand 1,028 is actually a huge number. I also know, that it is a smaller number than, four years ago.

Even though, tons of programs are trying to save Rhinos, we do need even more help. It would be super kind to donate to an online program (even 5 dollars would help). 45,000 dollars is a lot of money, these programs need help, and they for sure can play all this money for each rhino, alone. Check out “Rhino Rescue” on www.scholastics.com, for more information, on saving the Rhinos! 

About the Writer
Ella Colonna, journalist

Hello, my name is Ella Colonna. I am a sixth grader at Catherine Blaine. I am a journalist for this website. I enjoy many things, but the thing I enjoy...