The Paw Press

$330 Million Dollar Deal

Back to Article
Back to Article

$330 Million Dollar Deal

Owen Willis, Journalist

On February 28th, 2019 Bryce Harper signed a record-setting deal. Harper signed a 13-year $330 million dollar deal with the Philadelphia Phillies. After Manny Machado, the other big free agent this year, signed a 10-year $300 million dollar deal with the Padres, the baseball world got the feeling that Harper felt that he had to one-up Machado. The deal sums up to $26 million a year. Harper passes Alex Rodriguez as the highest paid baseball player ever. Harper has quickly become a fan favorite; the Harper jersey has sold for a record amount in the first 24 hours. After the breakout of last year by the Phillies, they are stacking up and going all in for the World Series. The Phillies acquired Jean Segura from the Mariners, an all-star Short Stop. The Phillies finished last year in third in a tight National League East but just missed the playoffs. Also involved in the trade with Jean Segura, the Phillies got two solid relief pitchers.  following the previous, the Phillies acquired a veteran, all-star, outfielder, Andrew McCutchen. Andrew will bring great presence both on and off the field. Then also adding another bullpen guy named David Robertson. After that, they made some other minor deals before going all in on Bryce Harper.

So, you could say that The Phillies had a busy offseason. Signing multiple players and building their roster to the highest level. Now with the Phillies going into spring training in Florida, the Phillies have a lot of team building on and off the field. They will have to mold together and become one as a team on the field (get all on the same page). So far in spring training, the Phillies have gone off well with a record of 6-2-2. Harper is expected to start in his first game this upcoming Saturday against the Twins.

The Phillies have a bright future and are going to be a powerhouse in the upcoming years.

About the Writer
Owen Willis, Journalist

Hello, there! I’m Owen a 6th grader at Blaine and have been here since Kindergarten and it really is a supportive school. I have a younger sister in...