The Paw Press

The Future of Cloning

Alex Davis

We all hear of cloning in stories and myths, but what if humans really could be cloned? Just thinking about cloned people sends shivers down my spine. On January 24th, 2018 researchers got humanity one step closer to cloning people. Researchers from china cloned two monkeys using the same type of method that cloned Dolly the sheep in 1996. Dolly the sheep was produced from cells that had been frozen for around six years. Before that, many researchers had assumed this type of cloning wasn’t possible, because to do it you must have adult cells and you must bring them back to their when they were first made, when the sperm fertilized egg. These amazing creatures were created the same way.

These long-tailed macaques (monkeys)  go by the names of Hua Hua and Zhong Zhong. These cool primates were created from fetal cells grown in a petri dish. These twin monkeys are completely identical to the monkey that produced the fetal cells they share. This accomplishment brought scientists so much closer to cloning humans because humans and monkeys are so alike.  

Why won’t the united states do that? Well, the United States of America has backed away from the use of primates in medical research. In fact, all of the lab chimps are being moved to sanctuaries (which is good). Do you want to be cloned?

Cloning history (according to Upfront): 

1952: The first successful cloning attempt: Using a frog embryo and egg, scientists are able to create a new tadpole. 

1996: Dolly the sheep is the first mammal cloned from adult cells. This method had been thought impossible before. 

2005: An Afghan hound clone, Snuppy, is born. It’s a breakthrough, as dogs had proved tricky to clone. 

2013: Cloned human stem cells are made. Experts hope one day to use cloned stem cells to create human organs for transplanting. 

Bibliography

https://upfront.scholastic.com/issues/2018-19/010719/they-cloned-monkeys-are-humans-next.html

https://www.nytimes.com/

About the Writer
Alex Davis, journalist

Hi, my name is Alex Davis and I have been at Blaine since kindergarten. I'm excited to be writing articles for the paw press this year! I also really like...

1 Comment

One Response to “The Future of Cloning”

1. Sofia Borges on March 13th, 2019 1:50 pm

Monkeys and Humans share a lot of DNA, We might be able to clone Humans soon!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Future of Cloning

News

Should The U.S Pull Out Of Afghanistan

• The Future of Cloning

News

Michael Cohen Testifies against Trump Administration

• The Future of Cloning

News

Ethiopian Air 737 Crashes, Killing Everybody Onboard

• The Future of Cloning

News

Finn Cunningham

• The Future of Cloning

News

A Recap of The Oscars

• The Future of Cloning

News

Starbucks Update: 32,000 Square Feet New Store

• The Future of Cloning

News

Once World Killer… Now World Saver?

• The Future of Cloning

News

Are We Coming Closer to a Cure for Cancer?

• The Future of Cloning

News

A Christmas Crustacean Migration

• The Future of Cloning

News

Government Shutdown: Will Students Go Hungry?

The Student News Site of Catharine Blaine K-8
The Future of Cloning