The Paw Press

NHL Seattle

Seattle is welcoming the NHL!

Back to Article
Back to Article

NHL Seattle

Owen Willis, Journalist

Welcome NHL! On December 4, 2018, Seattle was approved of an NHL franchise that would start play in the 2020-2021 season. This was very exciting news for hockey lovers and players both young and old. Gary Bettman (the commissioner of the NHL) says, “Today is an exciting and historic day for our League as we expand to one of North America’s most innovative, beautiful and fastest-growing cities. We are delighted to add David Bonderman, Tod Leiweke and the entire NHL Seattle group to the National Hockey League family. And we are thrilled that Seattle, a city with a proud hockey history that includes being the home for the first American team ever to win the Stanley Game, is finally joining the NHL,”.

With the rich hockey history, Seattle has, it will be a great addition and open a lot more publicity to the game. The new team will promote to all ages. Adults can sign up for adult/ beer league. Kids can sign up for one of the many organizations within the area. I play for SNO-KING hockey and I know that the organization is run and founded by an Arizona Coyotes alumnus. The hockey environment is very loyal and supportive. Trust me, if you went to the rink and asked them their favorite team and where they are from, there would be a wide variety of either their favorite team and where they are from.

Back to the history of the game, the Seattle Metropolitans was an organization from 1915-1924. In 1917, the Seattle Metropolitans were the first American team to win the Stanley Cup, the NHL’s top prize. Then in 1919 and 1920, they would return to the final, but just to lose in 1920. In 1919, the finals were canceled because of Spanish flu.

Expansion Luck. The last expansion team was the Vegas Golden Knights in 2018. They were able to go to the Stanley Cup final. The loss to the Washington (D.C) Capitals.

All in all, it is going to be a great experience for the city and a lot of fun!

About the Writer
Owen Willis, Journalist

Hello, there! I’m Owen a 6th grader at Blaine and have been here since Kindergarten and it really is a supportive school. I have a younger sister in...