The Paw Press

Starbucks Update: 32,000 Square Feet New Store

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kate Herndon, Journalist Editing Board Member

Most of you probably don’t care to keep up with all of the recent Starbucks news. Don’t worry though, that’s where I come in. One of the most captivating things that has gone on in the Starbucks community, is the 32,000 square foot “Roastery” in Tokyo. Why? Why do we need 32,000 feet of a coffee shop? Lets dive into that.

What is exactly is a Roastery? A Roastery is an especially large and lavish store that serves feature coffees and teas that you would not be able to get anywhere else. You can watch them roast the coffee beans, too. It is a way to “celebrate the romance of coffee,” CEO Kevin Johnson told the CNN business. The goal of exquisite Roasteries, is to provide a unique experience that can not be recreated by going to a regular Starbucks. Roasteries are very rare, they only have Roasteries in Seattle, Milan, Shanghai, and New York City. In the near future, they plan to open a Roastery in Chicago. “The Roasteries are brand amplifiers for us,” Johnson said. “That is their primary objective.”

The reason that Starbucks has Roasteries, is to create a space, that people go to, as a “third place” in line with their work and home. A place they can come to relax. With regular Starbucks locations, they don’t give you an exclusive experience; Roasteries can give you an exclusive experience. They have taken a big step in that matter, by allowing customers to come in to the building and use the restroom and hangout without having to purchase anything. They revisited and changed that policy last year.

The company, Starbucks, also majorly benefits from the Roasteries. At Roasteries, workers test out signature drinks and items. If the items are successful, then they will release them to the other regular Starbucks locations. They opened their first Roastery in Seattle, WA during the month of December 2014. The opening was very successful, “well exceeding even our most optimistic projections.” said Howard Schultz, CEO of the company. When the year 2016 ended, their company had gone up 24%, compared to 2015. This was mostly due to the fact, that customers spent four times as much money at Roasteries than regular Starbucks locations.

In the future, Starbucks is hoping to open more Roasteries, but for now, they are very happy with the outcome of the six they have right now.

Sources: CNN Business

About the Writer

Hi! My name is Kate Herndon and I am in 7th grade. I work on writing news stories for the Paw Press and enjoy it a lot :D. The news is such an interesting...