The Paw Press

Immigrants from Central America Seek Refuge in the U.S.

How thousands of Central Americans are leaving their countries to come to the U.S. But will we accept them?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jackson Melton, Journalist and Co-editor

As you read this thousands of people are walking and driving from Southern Mexico and Central American in huge caravans to seek refuge inside our borders. These people are seeking asylum from us because their countries are either unstable in their government, or filled and controlled by drugs.

Map of caravan routes via google maps

Many families from Mexico and Central America are coming here for better medical attention for them or their kids. Immigrants are coming from Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador and parts of Southern Mexico. In many Central American countries, gangs and drug lords control the streets. Governments of many of them are also corrupted and weakening. Families are giving up everything to come to our country. Many have left loved ones behind in hopes to send money and help back to their families. They have few belongings and only bring things they need. Trucks and buses are driving people for hundreds of miles towards our borders. But many people aren’t so lucky; hundreds have had to walk, pulling their suitcases and their children for weeks.

As the caravan approaches, our country becomes less likely to accept them. Our president has spoken out against these “illegal” immigrants. Although they have no papers and almost no money many think they should be let into our borders, contradicting our president and most of the Trump administration. Trump has tweeted about the caravan on multiple occasions, this week claiming that the caravan is concealing middle eastern people that are both “good and bad”. Recently he has admitted that he has no proof of this but he “very well could have”.  Right now, a lot of the government is against illegal immigrants and the caravan is their worst nightmare. Trump spent most of his campaign in 2016 focusing on how he was going to build a “wall” to prevent illegal immigrants from coming into our country. This wall has not been constructed and most likely will not be, but as the caravan approaches some people have arrived at the border.

Border Patrol fires tear gas at migrants

In response to this, border control was authorized to use tear gas on migrants trying to sneak in. This caused an uproar in politics and raised many questions about the safety of these migrants. During a press conference Trump stated that they were using “safe tear gas”. First of all, there is no such thing as “safe” tear gas. Second, border patrol has been using tear gas as a offense, not defense. If they have to use it they should only use it in violent situations where it is needed. Also, tear gas is a chemical weapon often used to control extreme rioting. In this situation there isn’t really any severe rioting. Adding on to that, tear gas or mace, usually causes extreme eye irritation and sometimes blindness. It also causes respiratory pain, bleeding and even vomiting. Overall this is not a safe chemical to be using on people that have done virtually nothing wrong and just want to be safe.

So for these migrants things are looking pretty bad. All they want is to be safe and away from were they came from. But as the government is filled in with more and more people who disagree immigration policies our laws could be changed. As of now around 100 people have arrived in Tijuana, just outside our borders, requesting asylum. As more people arrive by truck or on foot border patrol may be allowed to use more intense riot control methods. Many argue we should let them in, and many say no. This topic is still being debated as migrants wait in camps on our borders. A few months ago, children at the border were taken from their parents and put in camps while some of their parents were deported back to Southern Mexico. Many are afraid that the same thing will happen with the caravan. There are roughly 7000 people total coming from Central America. To keep posted on this subject follow the New York Times’ Upfront Magazine or the San Diego Tribune.