The Paw Press

The Past Is The Present

Carmella Terrones, Journalist

Why is Social Studies Important in a Student’s Education? 

Perhaps because the study of history promotes critical thinking, social studies create a cultural literacy or encourages responsible citizenship. One of the most important reasons why history is a subject in school is because history continues to matter.

Why has North Korea developed a nuclear arsenal that threatens the United States? Why are thousands of Hondurans camped out on the southern border of the United States? Why have many athletes decided to kneel-down during the national anthem? All these questions can be answered at school in social studies.

People have suggested a different method for teachers to use to easily facilitate these connections. The method is illustrated with two examples, one from Global History and the other from the United States History. And the method will have different challenges for different types of students. The goal for this method is to help students who think in a different way. As you probably think, most kids have different styles of learning, and the new method is going to help kids that are slow workers and some that are fast thinkers.

The method is that from last year was a kid that came up with an idea such as comparing the Chinese Exclusion Act to President Trump’s ban on citizens from seven predominantly Muslim Countries.

To help social studies teachers, and to encourage students, The New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/learning/our-2nd-annual-connections-contest-link-something-youre-studying-in-school-with-the-world-today.html?module=inline)  is holding a contest from December 6 to January 21. The contest invites any teenager anywhere in the world to make a link about something you’re studying in school with the world today.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Past Is The Present”

1. Mr. Gray on January 28th, 2019 11:30 am

I really enjoyed your article. Being able to think critically about past historical events, and how they relate to current events and societies, is one of the most important things students should learn in school.

Winston Churchill famously said, “History is written by the victors.” He might not have been 100% correct, but I think it’s true that what we study in our history classes is determined by the culture we live in. If we don’t study historical events from multiple perspectives, we’ll be less likely to learn from the mistakes of others and to not repeat those mistakes.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Past Is The Present

Opinion

Pressure for Girl’s Perfection

• The Past Is The Present

Opinion

Elephants Can Stay Around For The Lovely Sound!

• The Past Is The Present

Opinion

When Should Children Have Access to the Internet?

• The Past Is The Present

Opinion

Saving Rhino’s

• The Past Is The Present

Opinion

Green Book Review

• The Past Is The Present

Opinion

Driverless Cars, the Future?

• The Past Is The Present

Opinion

Fast Food, Again?

• The Past Is The Present

Opinion

The Good Place Review

• The Past Is The Present

Arts & Entertainment

Magic the Gathering Game Reveiw

• The Past Is The Present

Opinion

Kerbal Space Program Game Review

The Student News Site of Catharine Blaine K-8
The Past Is The Present