The Paw Press

The Man in the Yellow Jacket- Creative Writing Corner

Back to Article
Back to Article

Serophina, Arts & Entertainment Editor, Creative Writer

Thick fog was creeping over the gravestones, devouring them like a hungry beast. The fog was rolling in and covering the ground in a perfect, undisturbed white. The graveyard was older than the sky and hadn’t been used in centuries. Until now. The fog spread to a freshly dug patch of dirt, and next to the small mound of upturned dirt read a small gravestone. Jonathan Smith, 1981-2008.

The rusty gates creaked and moaned in complaint when a girl, the age of six forced them open, followed by a young woman with the name of Caroline.

“Is this where they put him?” the young girl asked.

“Yes, Violet darling, this is where they put your father, so he could sleep peacefully,” Caroline said, fighting back the tears that rimmed her eyes.

“It doesn’t look very peaceful. It looks like no one has mowed the lawn in a while. Daddy always said it was important to keep the lawn nice.”

“Shh, Violet. You must be quiet here. You wouldn’t want to wake up your father, would you?”

Violet looked up at her mother with wide eyes and shook her head, keeping her mouth shut tight. She then held up a finger to her mouth, and then tried to reach her mother’s mouth. Caroline let out a soft laugh and took Violet’s hand before walking along the weary rows of gravestones.

When Caroline came to the one she was looking for, she knelt and said a soft prayer. Here, she let her tears run freely, dripping down her face until they fell softly to the ground. She allowed herself a few minutes before she forced herself to stop crying. Caroline didn’t want to let Violet see her sad, so she quickly wiped away her tears, plastered a smile on her face, and stood up, brushing dirt from her knees.

Caroline was digging a rock out of her shoe, when Violet tugged her jacket. Caroline looked down at her sweet, perfect daughter. Violet looked excited and Caroline wondered what she had found.

“Look mama! There’s someone over there,” she said pointing, “It’s a man in a yellow jacket!”

Caroline looked up, but she didn’t see anyone.

“He’s waving at me,” Violet said, waving back.

Caroline was straining to see through the fog, but she was sure there was no one there. A chill was creeping up her spine, and a seed of fear had rooted itself in her soul. Caroline looked down at Violet, who was still convinced there was someone else at the old graveyard.

“Look, he’s coming over to talk to us!”

Caroline was genuinely scared now, and she scooped Violet up and started to run. She didn’t know what she was running from, but she knew she had to get away from the graveyard. Caroline didn’t know what her daughter was seeing, but they had to get away.

“Mama, why are you running?”

Caroline didn’t say anything as she kept running, leaping over gravestones to outrun her fear, and that gut feeling that something was wrong. They had walked to the graveyard from their house, so they had no car to escape in.

Then Caroline stumbled on the sidewalk outside the foreboding gates to the graveyard, and went crashing to the ground, taking Violet with her. She got up and turned around to see the man in the yellow jacket advancing on her. But that was impossible, there was no one at the graveyard. This man shouldn’t exist.

Caroline got up and looked down at Violet who was still on the ground, wanting to help her up. Violet looked up and her beautiful brown eyes were wide with wonder, except they weren’t brown, they were shining bright blue.

Caroline gasped in fright and stepped back from Violet, who was sitting still on the concrete, those eerie blue eyes wide and unblinking.

The man in the yellow jacket had stopped a few feet from Caroline and just looked at her. His hood hid his face, but she could just barely see blue eyes shining under the fabric.

Fear kept Caroline rooted to the spot as he walked up to her and brushed her hair away from her face. He whispered 3 simple words. 3 words that changed everything.

“You’re still here.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The Man in the Yellow Jacket- Creative Writing Corner”

1. Maya Moses on December 7th, 2018 2:44 pm

This is such an amazing story! You are so talented. Never stop writing!

2. Lilliana Wald on December 8th, 2018 2:42 pm

Serophina, this story is amazing! Seriously, the amount of talent in this is amazing. I hope I can get more writing from you soon 🙂

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Man in the Yellow Jacket- Creative Writing Corner

Arts & Entertainment

How to make Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches

Arts & Entertainment

Pet Page

Arts & Entertainment

The Day I Left

Arts & Entertainment

Original Art (AiWS)

Arts & Entertainment

Pet Page Holiday Special!

Arts & Entertainment

Pet Page

Arts & Entertainment

How to Make a Homemade Candy Cane and Gingerbread Men

Arts & Entertainment

George- Book Review

Arts & Entertainment

Zelda Breath Of The Wild Game Review

Arts & Entertainment

Pet Page

The Student News Site of Catharine Blaine K-8