The Paw Press

The Blueprint for a Less Healthy Tomorrow

Back to Article
Back to Article

Paige Pinion and Jena Keller

You may or may not have heard of the EPA. If you have not, the EPA stands for the Environmental Protection Agency. As stated in the name, the EPA does many things to help protect the environment. Some of the things the EPA does is help the air, monitor the environment’s health, help reduce the air of chemicals and toxins, organize landfill waste cleanups, collect data and science behind environmental issues, check the health of water, and help people have a greener living. Overall, the EPA helps with climate change throughout the USA and monitors how much waste we produce. We believe that this is very important. 

As most of you probably know, our current president, Donald J. Trump, has been president for almost two years now, and he has promised many things that he thinks will be beneficial to the USA. One of these things is cutting funds for the EPA by around 31%. This would mean less money for helping natural environments in dire need of restoring, like restoring the water quality of the Gulf of Mexico, Puget sound, and other large bodies of water. It would cut the funding of Chesapeake Bay restoration from 72 million to 7 million. With the massive funding cut of the EPA, the climate change research and funding to help the future generations have a greener today would be nearly eliminated, or just eliminated altogether. 

The president of the Environmental Defense Fund, Fred Krupp said, “The Trump administration budget released today is a blueprint for a less healthy, more polluted America. A budget shows your values — and this budget shows the administration doesn’t value clean air, clean water, or protecting Americans from toxic pollution.” Many owners or CEO’s of big foundations that help our planet are speaking out against this cut and why it would eliminate the USA’s rush to control climate change.   

Some people may think that climate change is not real, or that the planet is not in danger and the EPA does not need a lot of money to do what they do, but there is scientific evidence to prove otherwise. Scientists have observed carbon dioxide levels going back thousands of years. They notice that we are producing more and more carbon dioxide every year, and it is going into our atmosphere. This is trapping heat in our atmosphere and creating a massive greenhouse effect. Also, garbage islands are growing in our oceans, which is very dangerous to many ocean mammals. One garbage patch is the size of Texas! These things are problems, so we need organizations like the EPA to help stop these things from happening.  

Cutting the EPA’s budget by 31% would be a horrible decision for American and a horrible decision by the government and here’s why: When you cut 31% of the EPA’s budget, you are eliminating many jobs and leaving people with nowhere to go. A more important obstacle when cutting the EPA’s budget by 31% is that this cut will eliminate the rest of the USA’s fight to end climate change after Donald. J. Trump decided to step out of the Paris Climate Agreement. The Paris Climate Agreement is an agreement that deals with climate change, especially the amount of gas we are producing. Because the USA is the second largest carbon dioxide producers, to step out of the Paris Climate Agreement will greatly affect our planet in a negative way, and to cut out 31% of the EPA’s budget would wipe out the USA’s movement to help slow climate change.  

Overall, cutting the EPA’s budget would be a horrible decision, and not only for the USA. It would also impact all of the other countries and people and, most importantly, the world.

About the Writers
Paige Pinion, Journalist, Copy Editor

Hello Blaine!

My name is Paige, and I am an eighth grader here at Blaine. I have been going to Blaine since kindergarten, so I am excited to be writing...

Jena Keller, Journalist

Hello reader!

My name is Jena I am an 8th grader here at Blaine, I have gone to Blaine since kindergarten and I really love it. I currently have two...

1 Comment

One Response to “The Blueprint for a Less Healthy Tomorrow”

1. Odalis Estevez on November 16th, 2018 11:35 pm

Nice job guys!!!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Blueprint for a Less Healthy Tomorrow

Features

Kindergarteners Review Famous Art

Opinion

Ichiro Teriyaki

Opinion

Should The Date of Halloween be Changed?

Opinion

The Lounge

Opinion

Totem Poles- Harmless or What?

Opinion

The Race to Save Pod J’s Decreasing Orca Population

Opinion

Should We Lower Our Voting Age?

Opinion

Do My Shoulders Distract You?

Opinion

The No Hoods Rule

News

Zombie Fungus – Can it Change the World?

The Student News Site of Catharine Blaine K-8