The Paw Press

Where Did They Go?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Where Did They Go?

Kate Herndon, Journalist Editing Board Member

As some of you might have noticed, Starbucks no longer has straws and are using new lids with a slit in it for your drink to come out. Most of you might be wondering, why did they get rid of the straws? And, how am I supposed to drink my Frappuccino?

The main reason for this is to help our planet. Starbucks plans to eliminate all straws globally by 2020, “Starbucks goal to eliminate plastic straws by 2020 from their stores globally represents the company’s forward thinking in tackling the material waste challenge in totality,” said Erin Simon, director of sustainability research & development and material science at World Wildlife Fund, U.S. Since Starbucks is the largest espresso retail business in the world, getting rid of plastic straws will vastly reduce the use of 1 billion plastic straws globally per year.

“For our partners and customers, this is a significant milestone to achieve our global aspiration of sustainable coffee, served to our customers in more sustainable ways,” said Kevin Johnson, who is the president and chief executive officer for Starbucks. Customers in Seattle and Vancouver will be the first cities to use the new lids, and the goal is to globally eliminate all straws, but straws will be available upon request if you need one for a specific drink. (That means you, all Frappuccino lovers :D).

“Starbucks’s decision to phase out single-use plastic straws is a shining example of the important role that companies can play in stemming the tide of ocean plastic. With eight million metric tons of plastic entering the ocean every year, we cannot afford to let industry sit on the sidelines, and we are grateful for Starbucks leadership in this space,” said Nicholas Mallos, director of Ocean Conservancy’s Trash Free Seas program. Although this might upset some people, other environmentalists are very grateful for this action, and love the idea.

How much is this going to cost? Starbucks has put aside $10 million dollars to design and market a fully recyclable and compostable cup.

Where is the new lid available right now? At the moment, the new lids are available in 8,000 locations and customers in Seattle and Vancouver will be the first to see the new strawless lids. 

Sources: Starbucks Newsroom

About the Writer

Hi! My name is Kate Herndon and I am in 7th grade. I work on writing news stories for the Paw Press and enjoy it a lot :D. The news is such an interesting...